Claude Bouchard was one of the first writers I encountered when I began using Twitter again. Having already self published quite a few titles, he gave me a few tips and pointers on publishing my debut novel The Virgin Surgeon. So in the indie spirit, I promised to give his latest novel, Asylum, a go when I finished editing and publishing my own novel.
Thus in the indie spirit of supporting other indie authors, and keeping my word as a man, I navigated the touchscreen on my Kindle Fire, and dropped the $2.99 for Claude’s mystery.
I blazed through 63% (Kindle location feature) of the book the first night and the other 37% the following day. It was an incredibly easy read. There weren’t those never-used-words that some authors use to try and make themselves seem more intelligent than they really are. Asylum featured normal conversation, real people, with real problems that I’m sure thousands upon thousands can relate to. An overworked Matthew Russel, psychiatrist, with an underappreciated, unattended, and ultimatelly unsatisfied wife Mrs. Cassidy Alexander-Russell. His absence was the price she paid to live a comfortable life, even though she was left to raise their 7 year-old daughter, and 9 year-old son alone. When Cassidy threatens to leave Matthew, he makes the sacrifice that he made at the alter of holy matrimony. He caters to his wife, his children, and becomes Family Man…
Yet, something is off, and the price for happiness and comfort is often a high cost to someone or another. And while Matthew transforms into Family Man, new obstacles arise that the entire Russell clan has to face that will change them forever.
Why do I want to see this on the silver screen? Well, because it was written for television and it reminds me of Secret Window by Stephen King. I enjoyed that movie for its cerebral qualities, and I think I’d love Asylum just as much. Books are fun. But even more fun, are books with real life moving characters. Get a copy of this mystery for some easy entertainment.